Raneen Joudah's Famous Babka
March 4, 2021
Raneen’s Raspberry and Peanut Butter Babka Recipe
3 cups plain flour
2¼ tsp fast-action yeast
¼ cup caster sugar
pinch of salt
¼ cup butter, plus extra for greasing
2 tbsp Goody Creamy Peanut Butter
2 tbsp raspberry jam
1 egg, beaten
How to prepare:
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- Set a small saucepan with the milk and butter over a low heat and allow the butter to melt. Remove from the heat and leave to come to room temperature.
- Lightly grease a bowl with butter. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and beat together at medium speed for 2 minutes. Increase the speed to high and continue to mix for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Mix the peanut butter and jam together. Preheat the oven to 1800C and line a baking tray or loaf tin.
- Transfer the risen dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a rectangle shape approximately 2.5cm thick.
- Spread the peanut butter and jam mixture evenly over the dough, then roll the dough up into a cylindrical log shape. Press the edges together to seal.
- Carefully slice the roll in half lengthways. With the cut sides facing upwards, press the top ends of the dough together, then lift the piece of dough on the right over the piece of the dough on the left. Repeat this process, so that the dough is intertwined.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared tray, cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Brush all over with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before slicing and serving.