Enjoy with your family, the Afghan-style basmati rice with chicken pieces; serve it as a main dish for lunch
3 Goody Chicken Stock Cubes
1500 gm Chicken, cut into six pieces
¾ cup of Vegetable Oil
1 medium-sized Onion, quartered
2 whole medium-sized Carrots, coarsely grated
1 tbsp of Mixed Spices
¼ cup of Sugar
1 tsp Saffron soaked with 2 spoons of Rose Water in ¼ cup of boiled water
4 cups of Basmati Rice, washed and drained
1 stick of Cinnamon
3 whole Cardamoms
1 Bay leaf
3 whole Cloves
9 cups of boiled water
2 tbsps of Sugar
¼ cup of Zershek Polow for garnish
1. Place a teaspoon of oil in a pot over high heat, sauté the chicken pieces for 5 minutes or until it turns brown and leave them aside. In the same pot, place ¼ cup of oil; add the onions then sauté over the heat for 3 minutes or until they turn golden. Add the carrots and stir for a couple of minutes, and then add the chicken pieces and the spices; continue stirring for 3 minutes over low heat.
2. Meanwhile, place ¼ cup of sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, continue to stir for a couple of minutes or until caramelized. Add the caramel mixture to the chicken, adding half the amount of water with saffron and 1 chicken stock cube and then stir well. Add the cup of water to the mixture, leave it over the heat for 10 minutes, and then set it aside.
3. Place ½ cup of oil in a pot over the heat; afterwards, add the cinnamon, cardamoms, bay leaf and cloves and stir well. Add the rice with 8 cups of boiled water and 2 chicken stock cubes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the rice absorbs the water completely.
4. Add the rice to the chicken, and add the remaining saffron water on top of the rice.
5. Melt 2 spoons of sugar in another saucepan for a couple of minutes or until caramelized; afterwards, place the caramel on top of the rice and cover it. Leave the rice over very low heat for 15 minutes or until it is cooked.Place the rice in the serving dish; garnish with Zarshek Polow and serve hot.