¼ cup butter
3 lbs. chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup Goody Sieved tomato
14 ounces of goody chopped canned tomatoes.
3 medium carrots, grated
2 whole cloves of garlic
1 pinch grated nutmeg
1 pinch ground cumin
1 pinch ground coriander
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
4 cups hot water
1 goody chicken stock cube
2 ¼ cups basmati rice (don't rinse or soak this)
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
KABSA SPICE MIX
½ tsp saffron
¼ tsp ground green cardamoms
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp white pepper
½ tsp ground dried limes
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot, casserole. Add chicken pieces, onion & garlic & sauté until onion is tender. Stir in goody sieved tomato & simmer over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, carrots, cloves, all the spices & salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the water & goody chicken cube.
3. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add rice to the pot & stir carefully. (If you want to brown the chicken in the oven - remove it from the pot now & place in the preheated oven).
4. Re-Cover & simmer for 35 - 40 minutes - adding the raisins for the last 10 minutes - or until rice are tender.
5. Place the rice on a large serving dish, topped with the chicken & garnished with almonds.