2 mini pumpkins to be served on a dining table
Salt and pepper
8 garlic cloves
Sprig of Rosemary
1 tsp fennel seeds
1⁄4 cup pine nuts
1 medium red onion finely chopped
1⁄2 tsp grated nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp chili flakes
5 fresh brown mushrooms roughly chopped
1⁄2 pack Goody Orzo pasta – boiled, strained and kept warm
1⁄2 jar Goody Marinara sauce
2 tbs chopped parsley
1 tbs white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
2. Slice off the top of your pumpkins so that the top bases are wide enough to scoop out the inside of the pumpkins. The tops and stems will be used as lids for dish presentation.
3. With a knife, start to cut away the inner edible pumpkin and put on a chopping board. Discard any seeds. Your pumpkins should then be hollow like a bowl. Clean the pumpkin bowls with water.
4. Cut an ‘X’ into the flat side of the chestnuts. This will make it easier to peel the nuts after baking.
5. Chop pumpkin into small cubes and place on a baking tray with the chestnuts, garlic cloves and scattered rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fennel seeds and season.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until pumpkin cubes are roasted through.
7. Lightly toast the pine nuts in a non-stick skillet until they are a golden color. Place on the side.
8. Sauté red onion until sod in 1 tsp olive oil. Add nutmeg and chili flakes and stir until combined. Add the chopped mushrooms and heat through for 3 minutes until cooked, stirring continuously.
9. Warm the Goody Marinara sauce in a skillet.
10. Place the roasted chestnuts on a chopping board and crush the outer skin on the ‘X’. Peel the skin off and discard. Finely chop the chestnuts. Also crush the roasted garlic cloves.
11. In a large bowl place the warm Orzo pasta, roasted pumpkin, garlic, chestnuts, pine nuts, red onion and mushroom mix, Marinara sauce, parsley, vinegar and a dash of olive oil. Combine together and season to preference.
12. Place mixture into pumpkin bases and decoratively place the pumpkin lids on top. Serve on your table.