Halawat al Jebn
Halawat al Jebn
Recipe by: Goody Kitchen
- For the sugar syrup, combine the sweet syrup, orange blossom water, and rose water. Keep aside.
- For the cheese rolls, set a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the water and sugar. Bring to a boil then once the sugar has dissolved, add the semolina. Stir constantly to thicken and combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium then add the cheese, rose water and orange blossom water. Stir well until the cheese melts and the mixture forms a soft dough. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Once you can handle the dough, divide it in half. Put one ball of dough on a large sheet of cling film then cover with another sheet. Roll out the dough to a 23 x 33cm rectangle. Use a sharp knife to trim off any excess to give you a straight rectangle.
- Put the canned cream in a piping bag with a 2cm tip. Pipe the cream along the side of the rolls nearest to you, leaving a 2cm border.
- Using the cling film under the dough, roll the dough over the cream filling and the dough is a log shape. You want to do this only until the filling is covered.
- Use a sharp knife to make a cut that separates the roll from the rest of the dough. Repeat the process twice more. Divide each log in to 10-12 4cm-thick pieces. Repeat the process with the remaining ball of dough and cream filling.
- Arrange the rolls on the serving platter, sprinkle each with a little ground pistachio in the center and rose petal jam.
- Serve alongside the syrup, drizzling each piece with some before eating.
Note: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.